Industrial Hygiene/ Occupational Safety
Hillmann is committed to anticipating, recognizing, evaluating, and controlling workplace conditions and hidden hazards that may cause worker injury or illness. We develop and implement respiratory protection programs and conduct training programs. Our goal is to assist employers in providing a safe and healthy work environment for their staff. Studies suggest that doing so increases worker performance and productivity levels while reducing absenteeism, lowering worker’s compensation claims, and improving insurance ratings. An effective program design and implementation will increase awareness and offer assurance to those who occupy your property.
An effective program design and implementation will increase awareness and offer assurance to those who occupy your property.
Hillmann’s Industrial Hygiene/Occupational Safety Programs:
- Environmental Health & Safety Compliance
- Air Quality
- Asbestos Support
- Lead Support
- Emergency Response Planning
- Respiratory Protection Programs
- Personal Protective Equipment
- Exposure Assessments
- Noise Exposure Evaluation & Control
- Vibration Monitoring & Control
- Hazardous Waste & Wastewater
- Hazardous Materials Management
- Vapor Intrusion Delineation & Monitoring
Construction Site Safety
Hillmann performs construction site safety and code compliance on a variety of construction projects ranging from new buildings to interior fit-outs. Hillmann’s professionals consult on OSHA, NYC DOB Chapter 33, FDNY, and DEP regulations to ensure a safer job site. Our inspectors are trained in recognizing hazards to prevent incidents involving workers and property.
Hillmann’s on-site safety personnel add value to your project by:
- Minimizing risk of accidents
- Avoiding stop-work orders
- Mitigating violating conditions
- Conducting safety meetings
- Enhancing subcontractor compliance
Respiratory Protection Programs
Hillmann can customize a Respiratory Protection Program based on your occupational needs, provide staff training and fit testing, and assist with implementation of the program. OSHA Standard 1910.134 requires employees who are required to wear respirators receive training on the proper use of that respirator.
Personal Protective Equipment
OSHA requires the use of personal protective equipment (PPE) to reduce employee exposure to hazards when engineering and administrative controls are not feasible or effective in reducing these exposures to acceptable levels.If PPE is necessary, we can design and help implement a PPE program to address the hazards present and assist your firm with the selection, maintenance, and proper use of PPE. Hillmann will also assist in training staff and monitoring the program to ensure its ongoing effectiveness.
Hillmann offers ergonomic consulting services to help our clients improve productivity while ensuring that their employees are safe, comfortable, and less prone to work-related injuries. We will find the best fit between your staff and their job conditions including the proper way to lift heavy objects, position computers to help avoid carpel tunnel syndrome, and adjust the height of chairs for optimal positioning when seated. Small, simple changes such as these have the power to yield drastic results.
Hillmann performs Exposure Assessments to evaluate potential personal exposure to hazardous substances in the workplace. Exposure Assessments consist of identifying potentially harmful variables that exist in the workplace through general observation, evaluation of control measures, and environmental sampling. The following factors will be taken into consideration in our assessments:
- Characteristics of the facility to identify locations where exposure is most likely to occur
- How the chemical substance is handled
- Population of exposed workers
- Work assignments of exposed workers
- Physical properties of the chemical substance, to help identify what route of exposure is most important
- Properties of the chemical substance, such as odor or irritation that might serve as a warning of unsuspected exposure and help to limit exposure
- Quantitative measures of exposure (amounts, duration) and occupational exposure limits
- Potential for accidental exposure
- Engineering controls designed to isolate workers from exposure
- Behavioral controls, such as the use of personal protective equipment
Noise Exposure Evaluation and Control
Companies whose workers are exposed to high noise levels must have an active hearing conservation program for protecting their employees’ hearing.Work place related noise induced hearing loss is preventable when proper controls and protection are used.
Hillmann can assist in designing a program that contains provisions for identifying and evaluating high noise exposures, controlling and reducing noise sources in the workplace, and protecting your employees on an ongoing basis.
Vibration Monitoring and Control
Mitigating the effects of vibration should be a primary concern for every employer in an occupational setting where exposure to vibration is imminent. Properly identifying and limiting the risk to prolonged vibration exposure offers several key benefits including:
- Minimizing financial liabilities
- Reducing insurance costs
- Maintaining business efficiency
- Proactively addressing employee concerns
- Hillmann can help our clients mitigate the effects and increase efficiency by developing a vibration management and control program designed specifically for your environment.
Hazardous Materials Surveys & Management
The demolition of any structure requires the identification and removal of hazardous materials to prevent occupational exposure, and to ensure proper disposal of these materials. Hillmann performs Hazardous Materials (HazMat) Surveys for pre-demolition, renovation and expansion projects. These investigations are typically performed for full floor or building demolition to locate, identify and quantify:
- Asbestos-Containing Materials
- Lead-Based Paint
- EPA Classified Universal wastes which can include: Batteries | Chemical & Pesticides | Mercury-containing Equipment | Mercury Lamps
- Radiation Sources: Exit Signs | Smoke Alarms
- Polychlorinated Biphenyls (PCBs): Light Ballasts | Caulking Materials | Electrical Transformers | Soil
- Ozone Depleting Substances: Chlorofluorocarbons | Refrigerants | Fuel
The comprehensive survey provides property owners or developers with an inventory of hazardous waste common to a wide variety of structures. An accurate budget can then be forecasted for demolition and abatement activities, and to avoid RCRA liability by ensuring proper disposal. It also ensures that building occupants and employees are protected from potential environmental hazards during demolition and abatement.
Hillmann can provide development of Specifications and Bid Documents for an abatement program of any hazardous materials affected by proposed construction. Hillmann also performs all necessary monitoring and coordination during the abatement process to insure compliance with the specifications and regulatory compliance with all NYC DOB, DEP and other relevant city, state, and federal requirements.